The General Requirements to Apply for the Engineering
There are four Engineering Grades (Engineer, Associate Engineer, Professional Engineer, and Consultant Engineer).
- Requirements for Engineer Grade.
- Requirements for Associate Engineer Grade.
- Requirements for Professional Engineer Grade.
- Requirements for Consultant Engineer Grade.
The Evaluation System
- The evaluation is conducted through written examination and/or professional interviews as detailed below.
- Examinations: are group of tools supervised by OSE to evaluate the Engineers’ basic and Professional Engineering abilities in order to obtain the Professional licenses or Grades.
- Professional Interviews: are group of tools performed by OSE for the purpose of granting some Professional Grades. The aim of this process is to evaluate abilities, personal skills and Professional Engineering experience in order to grant the Professional Grades.
The assessment methodologies for the different Engineering Grades
- Associate Engineer.
- Professional Engineer.
- Consultant Engineer.
- The evaluation is conducted twice a year: in March and October. The Council declares the evaluation date and place a year ahead prior to the stated time.
- The evaluation takes place in the HQ of the OSE, but is also possible to be conducted in a different place decided upon by the Council.
- The evaluation fees for the different Grades are as per the fee structure of the OSE. The evaluation fees are payable to the Council prior to the evaluation in duration specified by the Council.
- The Council formulates special committees to develop the evaluation methodology, and the correction and marking process. Committees will be formed in accordance to the different specialties listed in section 3 of this system. The Council supervises the preparation of all exam sets, approve them, decides on the procedures that ensure their consistency and reliability in accordance to the followings:
- Every specialized committee develops three sets of the exam: Engineering basics and Professional applications.
- The Council selects randomly one of the three sets; every specialized committee develops a new test to substitute the selected test. Hence, the Council will always have three ready sets of the evaluation in hand.
- The selected exam is handed over to the Council’s secretary to make the required photocopies and the other necessary procedures to distribute it among the candidates on the evaluation day; the secretary is held responsible to keep the confidentiality of the exam set.
- After the exam, all answer papers are handed over to the concerned committee for correction and results.
- The concerned committee hands over the exam results to the secretary for approval and declares.
- The exam questions vary to include: multiple choice questions, short answers questions, discussion questions, and design questions … etc.
- The Council formulates the administrative regulations organizing the exam conduct, invigilating committees, exam papers correction and marking, and results announcement.
- The Council defines, in the cooperation of the concerned committees, the exam duration for both of the sections: the Engineering basics and the Professional applications.
- The passing criteria is to get at least 70 % of the total mark in the assessment.
- It is possible for the applicant to repeat the assessment for unlimited times, paying the exam fees every time, until he/she reaches the required passing marks that qualifies him/her for the Grade.
- The Council lists the related reference, books, and journal Grades which exam candidates can refer to in preparation for the evaluation. It is also possible for the Council to develop model tests that will help the candidates to practice for the exam.
- The Council can develop and organize training and qualifying courses which will help the prospective exam takers. The Council announces all the available courses, seminars organized by the Council or any others organized by other institutions and approved by the Council.
Certificates and Authentications
- The Society issues, on the basis of the Council’s decision, a certificate honoring the holder to use the qualified Grade. The certificate includes: the Engineer’s full name, the Engineering Grade, the certificate number and the date of approval. The certificate is signed by the society president, the Council president, and sealed by the society and Council seals.
- The certificate is a valid proof that the named person is granted all the rights, authorities, and responsibilities of this Grade. This certificate is valid lifelong.
- The approved Engineer applies at the Council for a seal on his/her name stating his/ her Engineering Grade for fees specified in Engineers Classification Application Fees List and payable to the Council.
- When using the official seal in any document, the seal must always be accompanied by the holder’s signature and date on that document.
- The sealing and signing of official documents is put in all specifications, reports, plan, drawings, designs, financial processes presented to any client.
- Putting the signature and seal in any document means is a proof that the signing person is the one done the work or done under his/her supervision.
- Singing and sealing in any documents is an acknowledgement from the signing Engineer that he/she bares the complete financial and legal responsibility of the signed job. Hence, the Council is not responsible of any responsibility to such affairs.
- It is not within the rights of the Grade holder to sign and seal any document or job done beyond his/her supervision.
In cases of certificates loss, the Council can re-issue new certificates in replace to the lost or damaged ones. The Council will issue the regulations of this matter. The fees for such requests are as per the structure of OSE.
The Transition Phase
- OSE consider the first two years of starting this system as a transition phase.
- The OSE Board nominates the Council members in accordance to the criteria mentioned in Section (2).
- During the transition phase, the OSE and the Council have the authority to approve granting Engineering Grades to those experts and professionals in accordance to the criteria stated in section (4) of this system and are allowed to exclude Assessment, Qualification points and the Recommendation criteria.